Friday, April 4, 2008

Politics 101


Well, 'tis the season, I guess. The presidential race that is becoming more heated every day seems to be suffusing itself into our daily lives. I am an expert in neither politics nor astrology, but my uneducated guess is that there is some crazy alignment of the stars (in both the heavens and the rally stages), which is wreaking havoc in our otherwise cozy, insular worlds.

In our case here at Salisbury, we are getting a crash-course in "the ladder". The issue has to do with housing. At a boarding school, new or upgraded family housing is hotly sought after. Basically, seniority and/or job description combine to determine which family is where on the ladder for new housing. A couple weeks ago we were told that we were in line for a beautiful new house on campus. Then, a week or two later, we were told that we may have a couple families ahead of us in line, families who are new to campus.

Ummm....no. We don't think so. So now I am trying to get a meeting with the headmaster who has been doing a fantastic job of avoiding me. He set up our first get-together for Wednesday morning, then, that morning, realized he had another commitment. Since then, I have tried, unsuccessfully, to set up a meeting with him. I cannot get him to get back to me. So it goes.

I would describe my political stance as "anti-Machiavellian". I abhor subterfuge and trickery outside of novels. Honesty and integrity are very high on my list of desirable character traits, one reason being that I can see the situation for what it is and then react to it as best I can. Don't get me wrong, there have been times when I have been less than honest or displayed a lack of integrity. I also know the world is an imperfect place, so theory and philosophy often become moot.

Really, we're just frustrated that this has even become an issue. Now we are blue-printing "plan B". Unfortunately for us, our world here at school is not a democracy. Stay tuned!

No comments: